About the Author
Jeanne Birdsall grew up in the suburbs west of Philadelphia, where she spent much of her time reading and daydreaming. Although she first decided to become a writer when she was ten years old, it took her until she was forty-one to get started. The Penderwicks: A Summer Tale of Four Sisters, Two Rabbits, and a Very Interesting Boy was her first book.
Jeanne’s home is with her husband in Northampton, Massachusetts. Their house is old and comfortable, and surrounded by gardens.
Selected Awards and Honors
- National Book Award Winner for Young People’s Literature
- New England Book Award Winner
- Boston Public Library Literary Lights for Children Award
- Publishers Weekly Best Book of the Year
- Kirkus Reviews Editors’ Choice
- Booklist Editors’ Choice
- School Library Journal Best Book of the Year
- Kalbacher Klapperschlange (Germany)
- New York Public Library Title for Reading and Sharing
- Texas Bluebonnet Award Master List Title
- Heidelberger Leander Award (Germany)
- Children’s Book Sense Top 10 Pick