About the Author
Jeanne Birdsall grew up in the suburbs west of Philadelphia, where she spent much of her time reading and daydreaming. Although she first decided to become a writer when she was ten years old, it took her until she was forty-one to get started. The Penderwicks: A Summer Tale of Four Sisters, Two Rabbits, and a Very Interesting Boy was her first book.
Jeanne’s home is with her husband in Northampton, Massachusetts. Their house is old and comfortable, full of unruly animals, and surrounded by gardens.
Selected Awards and Honors
- National Book Award Winner for Young People’s Literature
- New England Book Award Winner
- Boston Public Library Literary Lights for Children Award
- Publishers Weekly Best Book of the Year
- Kirkus Reviews Editors’ Choice
- Booklist Editors’ Choice
- School Library Journal Best Book of the Year
- Kalbacher Klapperschlange (Germany)
- New York Public Library Title for Reading and Sharing
- Texas Bluebonnet Award Master List Title
- Heidelberger Leander Award (Germany)
- Children’s Book Sense Top 10 Pick